Eleven people have signed up so far, and we have room for more. You do not have to be a Puyallup Knitting Guild member to join us for the retreat.
Spring Retreat Part 1 is about logistics.
- Dates: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, April 19, 20, and 21. If no one else is using the facility on those dates, we can check in at 9 a.m. on Monday and stay until 4 p.m. on Wednesday. The early check-in and late check-out may change if other groups are using the facility before, during, or after us.
- Location: Dumas Bay Centre in Federal Way. Check the link for directions and more information about the facilities. We will talk about carpooling at the March, or even April, meeting.
- Meals: The fee includes lunch and dinner on Monday, breakfast and dinner on Tuesday, and breakfast and lunch on Wednesday. Meals are served buffet-style. You can go out to lunch on Tuesday or nibble on snacks. Coffee and tea service during the day will not be provided (see below). Alcohol is not permitted. Two refrigerators and two microwave ovens are available, which are shared with all groups using the facility. Cooking is not permitted. If you have special dietary needs, contact JJ.
- Rooms: The rooms are singles. All of our rooms have a sink and a toilet. Showers and other restroom facilities are nearby down the hall. A few adjacent rooms have a pocket door between them. Linens are included. Each room has a clock-radio. Hair-dryers are not provided.
- Meeting Room: We will be in Banquet Room #1. Bring a pillow, back support, or a camp-style chair if you think you might need one. A map of the facility is on the Dumas Bay Web site, noted above. The meeting room has wireless Internet access.
Naomi and Joan will teach a class on mitered squares, which will take the majority of the teaching time. Sue will offer a short version of last year's lace class for those who missed it (and if anyone wants it).
You will have plenty of time for your own knitting, talking with others at the retreat, and enjoying the beautiful grounds.
Details about the classes, supplies, and schedules will be posted here in the near future.
What to bring with you:
- Supplies for the mitered squares class and for the lace class if you want to participate.
- Your favorite snacks and utensils and serving pieces for them, if necessary.
- Tea bags and coffee, milk or creamer, sugar, anything coffee- or tea-related, including a cup. Nothing outside of the meals will be provided. Coffee and tea service during the day will not be provided. Sue will bring a pot for boiling water. Someone (?) offered to bring a coffee pot. A refrigerator is available for milk and for water or pop that you bring.
- Special blankets or pillows, back support, cushions you might need, and a hair-dryer if you want one.
- Copies of any materials you want to share (make sure you respect copyright). You will have to pay for any copies you want to make at Dumas Bay Centre.
If you can't attend the whole retreat, you are welcome to visit for a day. If you want to enjoy a meal with the group, contact JJ so she can reserve a place for you and tell you the cost of the meal and day-use fee.
Many thanks to JJ and Nita for making the arrangements for the retreat, and to Naomi and Joan for the class.
The retreat promises to be a chance to improve your knitting skills in a fun, supportive environment.