Friday, August 7, 2009

Sock Summit Report

Greetings from Portland. Sock Summit is everything I expected plus more, much more.

There were classes yesterday, I had a one-hour on Hooked on Beads, then the market opened at 4:30 with masses of knitters in line to get in. I had a map marked with booths to visit, but never looked at it... just wandered in a daze. But did get a few skeins of yarn and a book (Cookie A's) to get started.

Last night's Opening Reception was jam-packed with attendees, teachers and luminaries. A very nice hors d'oeuvre buffet was served, then Stephanie and Tina told the story of how the summit came to be in a hilarious tale of how to convince the powers-that-be that this wild, crazy scheme could ever attract ANY attendees! Hah! (I'll have to share the story about my elevator encounter with Barbara Walker before I knew that she was Barbara Walker when I get home.)

Now soon, I will soon return to the convention center to enter the huge room where we will certainly set a Guiness record for knitters knitting in one place for 15 minutes.

Right now I don't have time to play with posting any pictures, but will try to do that tomorrow.